STUDIES IN THE FAITH
Please join us every Wednesday at 7 PM (unless otherwise announced on the Church Calendar or Weekly Bulletin) for our weekly Studies in the Faith class, covering all aspects of Orthodox Christianity. The class is ideal for catechumens, for anyone curious about the Orthodox Church, and also recommended for any long-time Orthodox Christian, whether cradle or convert, who is interested in learning more about acquiring a living Orthodox phronema (or mindset/worldview).
STUDIES IN THE FAITH: ORTHODOX MARRIAGE
Beginning April 3rd, 2013, Anatoly Petrov will again be leading the classroom discussion, this time concerning the Orthodox teaching on marriage. We will be going over Chapter 4 (“An Ethic of Marriage and Family”) from Incarnate Love: Essays in Orthodox Ethics by Vigen Guroian.
STUDIES IN THE FAITH: THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV
This is an archive of the class materials for Dostoyevsky’s The Brothers Karamazov, led by Anatoly Petrov. The final class was March 27th, 2013.
Brothers Karamazov reading outline:
- Book1 “History of one family”; Chapter5 “The Elders” (Audio book file)
- Book2 “Improper Meeting”; Chapter5 “So Be It!” (Audio book file)
- Book3 “Possessed with passions”; Chapter7 “The Controversy” (Audio book file)
- Book5 “Pro and contra”; Chapter4 “The Rebellion” (Audio book file)
- Book5 “Pro and contra”; Chapter5 “Legend of the Great Inquisitor” (Audio book file)
- Book6 “Russian monk”; Chapter1 and Chapter3 “Father Zosima and his visitors”
- Book7 “Alyosha”; Chapter1 “The Breath of Corruption” and 3 “Onion”
List of materials for Week 1:
- Reading outline (Word document)
- Framework (Powerpoint presentation)
- Reading from the Philokalia: Parts of the Soul Pt 1 (pdf)
- Reading from the Philokalia: Parts of the Soul Pt 2 (pdf)
- Framework: the conflicting composition of a person (pdf)
Russian film adaptation of The Brothers Karamazov (for more information, click here):